or sometimes outside the shower

Saturday, November 19, 2011

#27: The Anti-Self Help Life

Last Wednesday, I treated myself to an evening of me. Podium. Dinner.  Strolling.  Taking my time.  Book Hunting.  Coffee.

Book hunting.  Only that self help books are pulling me to them.  An hour of looking around, and yet, I end up choosing 'how to be happy books'.  What's wrong with me?  Am I depressed?  I just bought two self-help books three weeks back.  I haven't even finished them and yet I'm opting to buy another one.  But no, I'm not buying anymore of that crap.  Cos i had enough of their crap. Not to mention, they bring me to trouble!

If you look at the bestsellers in a bookstore, they either have that Twilight series, or anything about vampires, juvenile literature (which I like) or self-help books.  Why are self-help books popular?  Because they're manipulative.  They work on the weakest point of their audience, and take advantage of that so they can dictate a 'healthy and good' life as if they know who you are.  They lure you, with their persuasive words, implying how much they understand you.  They sell because they impose that they can help you by reading their books.  But really,  they're incapable of  showing the basic element of true guidance:  empathy.  They tell you stories of their lives as if they're parallel to what you're experiencing.  You are, at your highest conviction, trying your best to follow every step they're telling you, but you're left disappointed...not to mention, too bookish about life.  And at the end of the day, you start missing your old-sloppy self.


I did miss my old self and figured I wanted to read the bold and poetic stuff I used to read.  I was searching for Murakami and Winterson, but they're not available.  Due to the inviting arstyfartsy cover and unique blurb, I ended up buying Anais Nin.  Haha.  Not really my cup of tea, but what the hell, I can always say I've read something from her.  The preface. =)

And for that, I'm saying my thanks and goodbye to self-help books.  How to be happy my ass.  I say, go for the Cosmopolitan.  Fail.  Party, but don't drink and drive.  Talk and see your friends. Be more patient about your bosses and your HR. Phone someone. Accept. Listen to your Mother. Watch TV.  Skip work, but be responsible. I think, that's how I'll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment